Friday, January 31, 2014

Saints Alive!

I recently bought an e-book that I just can't stand.  Usually, I tend to agree with reviews and this one had five stars!  It had a funny title!  Instead, I couldn't get past the first chapter.  Awful.  And now that e-books often cost more than hold-in-your-hot-little-hands books, it makes me crazy to not get my money's worth.  Does that make me cheap?  I don't know.  I think I just value a dollar! (Full disclosure: my Dad says I invented the copper wire.) 

In this week's "The Economist" there is an article about sainthood: "These days a successful canonization campaign launched in America typically costs around $250,000, and can go far higher, says the Catholic News Service..."

!!!!

I'm not Catholic, so I don't know much about the road to sainthood.  Here are a few things I found:
  • The candidate must be deceased for five years before being considered.
  • A Postulator travels to Rome to make the case for the candidate after compiling tons of documents and testimonies as evidence the potential saint led a virtuous life. (I'm guessing this compilation of proof is where the bulk of the quarter mil. is spent?)
  • To be labeled "Blessed" the Postulator has to prove the candidate conducted at least one miracle. (Except martyrs- the Pope can waive the miracle requirement for them.)
  • If the Postulator can prove the candidate performed two or more miracles the Pope may declare the person "Saint."  (Finally getting your baby to stay in her crib after she climbs out 8,000 consecutive times does not count as a miracle.  I checked.)
If this song is in your head for the rest of the weekend, I apologize; I just don't see any other way to wrap up this post, but with this little ditty:


No comments: