Sunday, January 5, 2014

Spot On, John!

One of the reasons I love living in Michigan is that we have four distinct seasons- each as lovely as the next.  But you guys?  As pretty as the snow is, it's starting to be a bit of an inconvenience.  I'm starting to feel quite certain my girls are going to have snow days until April!  Here is the view out of my window today (I wasn't quite brave enough to open the door for a picture, you understand).

That box is my raised garden.  It's usually much more raised.

The good news is that we have plenty of food and electricity (please, please Lord, let us keep our electricity!) and a cozy fireplace to cuddle up to.  And blustery days are the best days for Bible reading, if you ask me! 
 
I'm in the book of John right now.  I've always heard this is the best book of the Bible for new believers to read, so I'm trying to read it objectively.  I like it because Jesus talks a lot in John, and we are told over and over that he is the Son of God.  He is not a prophet, he is not just a really good (albeit, rogue) rabbi, he doesn't have political ambitions; he is God in the flesh.  Not only do we hear a lot right from the mouth of Jesus, John provides front row seats to miracles, and doubts the people had about him (John 7:41-42).  By the end of the book readers can't help but be clear that Jesus came for everyone.  He obviously loves outcasts, women, sinners, the worst of the worst, the best of the best, and everyone in between.
 
John is happy reading for new believers and longtime believers.  Reading joyful enough, in fact, to warm one's heart on a blustery, winter day.




1 comment:

Carla said...

I'm ready for spring! It's right ... around ... the corner ...

Thanks for posting. I always love to read it!