Thursday, April 17, 2014

Team Jesus

Was I the only one who thought today was called "Monday Thursday" as a kid?  Now I just say "Holy Thursday" to avoid confusing any little ears that may be listening.

Conveniently, I opened my Bible to John 17 last night and was struck by verses 20-26, where Jesus prays for believers.  I love that he prays for his disciples, but includes us too:  I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.
I don't want to take for granted for one second that Jesus thought me worthy of a prayer.  Worthy of so much more, too, but this small act touches me. 

In his last day on earth, Jesus prays that all believers will "be one."  It seems easy to forget we are all on the same team.  I know you've come across this too- some churches or people that are hung up on the details of various Christian faiths when, in fact, we are all commissioned to do the same work for God.  A few days ago somebody rang my doorbell to invite me to their church.  I declined, because I have a church that is just perfect for me, but how can I not wish this person the best?  I pray she knocks on a door of a non-believer, whose interest is piqued.  They attend a service just to get this person to stop coming to their house and wind up a faithful follower of Christ. 

I don't care what "brand" of Christian you are.  If you are mourning Jesus' death with me tomorrow, and rejoicing with me in his resurrection this Sunday, I count you as a brother or sister in Christ.  We are all on Team Jesus.





No comments: